Monday, March 25, 2019

I am a bit of a fan of Tripadvisor so yes, I check out the ratings and reviews there. I also find the B&B lodgings more interesting because they usually are bigger than transient homes or homestays but smaller than hotels. I am particularly glad about my finds on that site when I went on a solo trip to Vietnam and Cambodia. But that’s another story.



Beautiful fan room
So I checked on the site and found the top searches in Ubud and Nirwa Ubud Homestay is somewhere there. Very affordable too and “near” the town center.  I was not familiar with Ubud at all so I did not know what to expect.

Fortunately,  Nirwa Ubud Homestay is yes, close to the center, walking distance, but it’s going inside rice fields so the walk at night is dark, but with the view of nature by daytime. And I guess that is the charm of Ubud – the hotels and restaurants in the middle of rice fields.

Narrow roads for bikes and pedestrian only

So our Grab Taxi was only able to drop us off at the parking lot by the main road, because he would not be able to go to the narrower roads to the rice fields but he nicely offered to call the property.

Pro tip: if you are not availing the hotel’s vehicle transfer, book Grab from the application. A lot of people outside the airport will offer you “Grab taxis” showing a Grab app on their phones, but what for? Just book it through your own mobile app. More tips here.

Two men in motorcycles came by to pick us up. For free.

We passed by an artist's studio at one corner.


When we reached the place, we were given a beautiful fan room, much like the one on their website, with a seating area in front. It is secluded in a garden with a quaint restaurant where the free breakfast would be served. The property is fronting a rice field but because it is walled, only the higher floors have the view.






Our host Madde mentioned he has another property further down the rice fields with a pool and we could go there for a dip, for free.

After the small chat, I realized I was given a fan room so asked Madde to check my booking for three nights in an air conditioned room (I booked through Booking.com). He was apologetic to say that our first night would be in the fan room and would be transferred after. Or, move to his other property with the pool, but all rooms there are fan rooms. I asked if it gets hot at night and he said “only one room left, all rooms booked, no one complain” so I guess it means “no”.

I said if it’s okay, we’d check the place before deciding. So off we went. And WOW.


I would love to hear from you!

romarampa's travel and leisure stories . 2017 Copyright. All rights reserved. Designed by Blogger Template | Free Blogger Templates