Saturday, March 2, 2019

I heard (and read) that there are several surf shops in Bali, Indonesia -- and I was amazed to have found a good lot in Kuta.

I researched over the interwebs at some shops who carry local and international brands. I visited about a dozen surfshops in all, including two high-end shops in Canggu.


I could never make up my mind. I obsess over things when I really want something, this time, the prospect of buying a surfboard in Bali -- a last minute eureka moment.

Once I got to Kuta (I spent my first 3.5 days in Ubud), I spent hours looking over different shops, articles, and reviews online of surfboard brands and shops. I alloted half a day to walk around Kuta to visit the surf shops near the Legian area. I found new brands after visiting shops, then researching about them again, and so on. 

Walking along Benesari road, I went to each and every shop I see. I was looking for a longboard so I could finally learn how to surf better. I had a 7'2" gun board given to me by an Australian-Pinoy friend and yes I have surfed it, a lot, in a span of 5 months, but a lot of surfers were telling me to practice with a longboard. So now that I had the chance to maybe find one, I was on a mission!

This is Faozan

Faozan was at the RPM Surf Shop when we got there.



We had the usual conversation until he asked where I was from. Philippines. In delight he said "SIARGAO!" He wasn't the first to mention this because the other sellers I met also did. I guess for most people in surfing areas, the Philippines = Siargao.

Then he said "I sponsor Piso (Alcala). You know him? He's from Siargao!" I know Piso. I met him in one of my many travels back and forth to Liwliwa Zambales. The day I met Piso, we had a long table lunch in (the now defunct) Home Along The Liwa together with a bunch of local surfers and some visitors like myself. Faozan said he is sponsoring Piso for three years now and that this is his brand -- the Free Pig Movement Surfboards. I had to clarify "You are the shaper?" Yes. "You make these?" Yes. I looked around and asked if I could take photos of his workshop. The answer was of course a yes.



But the RPM Shop did not have what I was looking for so he pointed me to The Pit Surf Shop.



I would love to hear from you!

romarampa's travel and leisure stories . 2017 Copyright. All rights reserved. Designed by Blogger Template | Free Blogger Templates