Tuesday, March 5, 2019

The Pit Surf Shop is by Legian St. at the second floor of a building, fronting the Memorial Cafe.



It is the shop that sells a bigger collection of the Free Pig Movement surfboards. I went there looking for a longboard. I saw this really beautiful red board and I salivated. I was looking for a yellow board (so it's easy to spot in the ocean, much like why taxis were originally yellow) but they only had this. Right beside it was the orange and white board that I did not care about.

The beautiful 8'6" red longboard
The Pit was giving it to me at 7,000,000 IDR (around Php 27,000) with leash and fin. I thought over this board for 3 days, while still looking at other places online. That's when I found out that Bali actually has a couple of buy and sell Facebook pages specifically for surfboards, because a lot of foreigners would buy a board, surf it a few to several times or months, then sell it to get part of their money back before flying back home.

For three days, I obsessed over getting a new surfboard. I went back to different shops on my last night and found that The Pit was the only one still open at 10 PM. I guess the good reason for this is it's located at the highway where more bars and restaurants are.

So I went back to The Pit, having decided on getting that red shiny surfboard and asked "Can I learn to noseride with this?"

That changed everything. Yohan, the staff, said no. And got the white and orange board to compare. He said something about the rail, the wider nose, and the concave back. He even showed me that the orange board really had a concave back and the red one did not.

Of course I did not know this at that time. I just asked because maybe someday far far away, I can learn a new skill on the board, hence the noseriding question.

So finally, I got the orange surfboard and I am happy I did!


Pack it away!
These two guys happily packed the board (Yohan was the one with the afro) with bubble wrap before putting it inside the bag. Then the guy on the left (I am so sorry I forgot his name) gladly took me and my board (and accessories) to my hotel with a motorcycle that had that surfboard carrier installed. He even waited for me so we could go back to Legian St. where I was going to have dinner.

When I took my board home, it had a ding from airline mishandling (I will post about that soon) and had to message Free Pig Movement's instagram account (@freepigmovement) to ask for advise on how to fix that ding. He gave me advise, sent me video tutorials and was always nice to all my queries.

So I would highly recommend you to go to The Pit for your surfboard and surf accessories needs.


One teeny tiny thing tho, they gave me 2 center quad fins instead of a pair of side fins, but I guess it's fine because as a beginner, I could not tell the difference. So, all is swell!

I would love to hear from you!

romarampa's travel and leisure stories . 2017 Copyright. All rights reserved. Designed by Blogger Template | Free Blogger Templates